Student Demographics & Achievements
At Hansberry College Prep, we currently serve over 700 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade students, the majority whom hail from Chicago’s south side where our campus is located. The students of HCP come from over 25 different Chicago communities from diverse backgrounds with a range of economic and educational needs to obtain a high-quality education.
- August 2012: Mayor Emanuel opened HCP’s first day of school with a rousing speech demonstrating his pride in our efforts to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
- September 2013: Penny Pritzker & Bryan Traubert joined us for the grand opening celebration when we changed our name to Hansberry College Prep.
- Spring Break 2014: Students participated in our first Spring Break College Tour.
- April 2014: HCP became recognized as the only charter school in Illinois to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
- Summer 2014: Our first group of 80 rising Juniors participated in "Summer of a Lifetime."
- August 2014: The first IB courses are offered to our students.
Since opening our doors in August 2012, our students have already taken their first Pre-EXPLORE test. Our goal at Hansberry College Prep is 3 points composite growth each year, for a projected 9 points composite growth by the time our students take the ACT their junior year. A score of 21 is an indicator of college readiness, and it is our goal for all students to achieve a composite score of 21 or higher on the ACT.
- Job Opportunities